Monday, March 28, 2016

March 2016 BarkBox Subscription Review

What Is BarkBox?

BarkBox is a monthly subscription box for dogs. They also donate 10% of their profits to shelters. 

All of the treats included in the box are corn, wheat, and soy free so dogs with allergies can participate in the fun. If your dog is allergic to beef. Contact them if your dog is allergic to beef, turkey, or chicken because they will give you a specialized box. 

They have normal and heavy chewer box options. If you need the heavy chewer option you need to contact them to let them know you. It is not an option when checking out, but it's free of charge to upgrade! Their treats also allergy friendly. 

If you have multiple dogs contact them for different pricing options.

The Subscription

Box Items: 4-5 toys, treats, or chews

Size options:
  • Small & Cute (0-20 lbs)
  • Just Right (20-50 lbs)
  • Big & Bold (50+ lbs)
Cost: 
  • 1 month = $29/box
  • 3 months = $24/box
  • 6 months = $21/box
  • 12 months = $19/box
Coupon: Use code "ILOVEMOLLY" for a free Bark Box added to any new subscription! 

The Details of THIS Box

So here are the details for our subscription plan:
  • Big & Bold
  • Extra Toy (Free from Facebook promo. Usually an extra $9 per month)
  • 3 months = $24 per box
I chose to do the extra toy instead of the multipup deal because I felt it got pricey quick and the extra toy guarantees I have a toy for each dog. I also didn't want to be drowning in bags of treats.

We did NOT choose the heavy chewer option because even though my dogs destroy toys, they like that they can destroy them. They don't seem to play well with the heavy duty kong toys. 

What's In the Box?

Moseley and Darwin were so excited when the box came! And when I went to open the box to take photos, Moseley knew EXACTLY what I was doing...opening HIS BOX. He had his eye on me through the whole photo shoot. 



Ok so to the left is what the box looks like unopened. Love the packaging! Super easy to open.  On the right is the box opened! I love it when boxes have the items wrapped in paper. I feel like it just makes the surprise even better!



And here is a peak as to what is in side the box!! Looks like a lot of good stuff at first glance.


Treats

Lucky dog Grain-Free Roast Duck Treats - $9

These treats seem to be grain free which is a plus for those who have dogs with allergies! And I love that the ingredients are 100% all natural. We gave a few to the dogs to convince them to come back inside from playing to go to bed and they came running! And BarkBox approved! I need to find out what that really means. 



Nature's Bits Soft Bison, Apples, and Peaches Treats - $8

Now these treats I have not given to the dogs yet. I'm saving them for Saturday for Darwin's test to pass his Dog Training class...hopefully it will be a good incentive for him to listen to me ;) Or at least look like he is listening. But I am sure they will be a hit!




Etta Says! Savory Yumm Stick - $3

And what dog doesn't love jerky sticks? I haven't given this to them yet just because I need to find a good way to split it so I can give it to both dogs. However they were going crazy for it just smelling it through the packaging so I have no doubt this will be gone in seconds. 



Toys

 Ok here are two little cards they had in the box because we did the extra toy promo. I think it's saying that the toll booth is the extra toy? But I know they try and keep to a theme every month and I believe this month was Sherlock Holmes, so I am a little confused as to why that is the extra toy when it's part of the theme? Cute little cards though.


Dogzilla Penguin Egg - $17

I knew from the start they would love this one because they had a ball similar to this that was a honeycomb shape so this toy was an instant hit. 


Darwin chewed on it and kept throwing it around the house and Moseley kept pushing it against the couch. Because that's what he does with all of his toys. I was a little worried it wouldn't last long when I first saw it but it was a very thick material when I touched it. The grooves are also more difficult to get a hold of compared to their green ball they destroyed so I think that will make this toy last longer. I haven't put any treats in it yet because they were playing with it just fine without them. But they might actually destroy it if I do that...but I will keep you posted if that happens. So far it is a great sturdy toy and my dogs love it!


ThinkPet Telephone Booth - $14

The next toy is the phone booth. It claimed to be puncture proof on the tag. My husband and I laughed when I read it because Moseley breaks through anything and everything with his jaws of steel. And with Darwin's shark teeth from still being a puppy basically toys don't have a chance in our home. 



However we were pleasantly surprised! Both dogs had their turn with this toy. Darwin didn't do any damage to the toy. Moseley was determined to destroy this toy, like he knew he was supposed to prove them wrong. 



He busted the seams on the fabric (look at him with that little grin on his face) BUT the plastic insert remained intact! We were pleasantly surprised. My husband and I were humbled and our pups are happy with this toy.




Doggie Tail - $12

Ok this next toy is the greatest dog toy I have ever come across. It's supposed to shake and make puppy barking noises as it bounces around, and the fun things are triggered by the dog shaking the toy. The only downside to this toy is you have to supply your own AAA batteries. They were not included. Lucky for us we had some on hand. 

My dogs FREAKED OUT with this toy. Moseley's hunting instincts kicked in and he just wanted to shake it and pounce it. Moseley on the other hand was a mix of absolutely completely terrified and wanting to play with it because Moseley was playing with it. 



I do wish that it didn't make a barking noise because I feel like they're learning to attack a small dog. Like maybe make a duck noise or something instead. But still. Greatest toy ever. We very quickly found out that this toy could not be used during baby nap time and bed time. Moseley barks at it too much!

Final Thoughts

I absolutely LOVED this BarkBox, as did my dogs. They are able to eat all of the treats and loved playing with all three toys. 

The total value of the box came to $63

That's an AWESOME deal for spending $24 on a box. Especially with the extra toy promo. I believe we will be resubscribing after our three months are over! 



My box did come later than expected and I think it is because I subscribed later than their usual ship out date. My items also seem to be different compared to other boxes and I wonder if it is also because I subscribed late.

We can't wait for next month!!

What are your thoughts on this BarkBox or the one that you received this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment